“Safety is no Accident”
The Mooney Safety Foundation (DBA the MAPA Safety Foundation) is a non-profit organization chartered in 1990 to improve aviation safety for Mooney pilots and their airplanes. The Safety Foundation is comprised of a diverse group of Mooney instructors that all share a deep commitment and passion for Mooney aircraft and aviation safety. Through our long-lasting association with the Mooney Aircraft Pilots Association (MAPA), the Mooney Safety Foundation provides:
- Structured pilot proficiency programs (PPPs) in various locations across the U.S.,
- Aviation safety through articles, speeches, and scholarships,
- A central location for pilots to seek and share Mooney and safety information.
Through our pilot proficiency programs, Mooney pilots can expect to:
- Improve piloting skills,
- Improve decision-making skills to ensure flight safety,
- Increase awareness and decision-making skills to deal with maintenance issues,
- Improve skills to handle emergencies,
- Obtain information relating to Mooney airplanes and their safe operation.
Update: Lakeland, FL PPP
In these very concerning times of COVID-19 and the risk of not providing social distancing, the MAPA Safety Foundation Board of Directors has voted to cancel the Lakeland, FL PPP scheduled for January 28, 2021. It is our duty not only to be safe in the air, but to not expose attending pilots to any more viruses. We are following the lead of many other organizations and doctors recommendations.
We are planning on continuing with four PPPs in 2021 beginning with Santa Fe, NM on April 23-25, 2021. We hope to plan a schedule that will put a Pilot Proficiency Program in various regions of the US next year.
It was not easy to cancel these classes because we love to teach and fly with Mooney Pilots. I hope those wishing to attend will be glad to reschedule and see us in 2021.
Jerry W. Johnson, President
MAPA Safety Foundation